Last year Capcom bundled together the six classic Mega Man titles that make up Mega Man’s complete 8-bit history as the Mega Man Legacy Collection. What’s more, they did so whilst filling the offering full of bonus features and extra gameplay modes, such as production art, hit reducing armour, and scan-line filters to name but a few. As such, it provided retro gamers a much desired chance to jump back into Mega Man, and for those who had never experienced the Blue Bomber’s 8-bit exploits, a chance to experience one of the greatest experiences of all time.
All in all, it was a hugely successful trip down memory lane. So successful that Capcom are set to do it all over again with the Mega Man Legacy Collection 2. This time around Capcom will be collecting together Mega Man 7-10, in turn completing the Blue Bomber’s main series of retro-infused titles.
As part of the announcement, Capcom even went on to detail all of the extra features that Mega Man fans can expect this time around. Many of which will be familiar to fans of the original Legacy Collection. Check out Capcom’s full press release below for all the details:
Mega Man Legacy Collection 2
The legacy continues with this collection of four of the iconic Blue Bomber’s classic side-scrolling adventures, complete with all-new features and new ways to play these expansive games. A follow up to Mega Man Legacy Collection which contained the series’ original 8-bit titles, Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 spans the evolution and retro revolution of the series!
• 4-in-1 Timeless Adventures – Experience the legacy of long-time video game icon Mega Man with these four most recent classics from the core series:
◦ Mega Man 7 – This 16-bit side-scrolling classic introduces an in-game shop with power-ups, plus a mysterious rival Bass and his wolf-like companion Treble.
◦ Mega Man 8 – The Blue Bomber leaps into 32-bit in even more colorful stages with impressive fully animated and voiced story sequences for the first time.
◦ Mega Man 9 – This entry marks a triumphant return to the series’ roots with 8- bit visuals, music, and gameplay. Play as Proto Man and take on Fake Man in the included add-on content.
◦ Mega Man 10 – Play as Mega Man, Proto Man, or Bass in this fun, challenging 8-bit quest. Battle the deadly Mega Man Killer robots in the three included add-on stages.
• First-timer Friendly – For those new to the series, this collection introduces a new option to play the games with additional armor as they learn the ropes during their first playthrough. Save checkpoints have also been added for easy reload.
• New Remix Challenge Mode – Play classic stages like never before and put skills to the test in unique boss rush and stage remixes!
• Mega Man Museum – Explore the legacy of these games’ original releases with a historic archive that includes hundreds of development materials such as concept designs, sketches, production art, and more.
The Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 will be available for PS4, Xbox One, and Steam from August 8th 2017 in North America and Europe for $19.99. As with last time, it will also be available both as a physical release and a digital download for consoles in America. Though sadly it will only be available as a digital download in Europe.
Another disappointing omission is the lack of any mention of 3DS or Nintendo Switch, with Capcom telling IGN that there are currently “no plans at this time” to release the Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 on Nintendo platforms. Let’s hope this changes too though eh? Not only do some of these later Mega Man titles deserve to finally return home to a Nintendo platform, but also because the collection would certainly find a perfect home in the Nintendo Switch given the way platform is whole heatedly embracing retro.
Nevertheless, another Mega Man Collection is very exciting, and whether the collection is revealed for Switch or not, we here at Rings & Coins will be on hand to cover everything Mega Man.